Beverly Wilshire (Beverly Hills)
What’s it like to work for one of the most famous hotels in America? I can tell you from (fabulous) experience at Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel.
“Oh, you work for the ‘Pretty Woman’ Hotel?” Why yes, yes I did. I was the Director of Public Relations & Communications there from 2012-15. I even had a Board of Directors seat on the Rodeo Drive Committee, and worked with the talented team at Wolfgang Puck (CUT was on site). Hell, I even oversaw the 25th ‘Pretty Woman’ anniversary on the property! This was a long (long) way from where I grew up and I relished every moment, and time I spent with one of the hardest working hotel teams in the USA. Beyond the movie, this hotel – which sits at the top of Rodeo Drive – turned 90 recently and lends to so much history in Beverly Hills, and Los Angeles in general.
Fun hotel facts include:
- Built on the site of the Beverly Auto Speedway, Beverly Wilshire provided residents with an opportunity for picnics and Model T Ford races on Sunday afternoons.
- Beverly Wilshire has been made guest appearances in movies such as Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Clueless, Sex and the City: The Movie and Valentine’s Day, but gained worldwide recognition as the setting of the movie Pretty Woman.
- The Mediterranean-style pool is modeled after Sophia Loren’s private villa pool in Italy.
- Famous stars such as Elvis Presley, Warren Beatty and Steve McQueen have all lived in the Hotel, which continues to receive fan mail for the actors, even decades after they have moved out.
- Beverly Wilshire is a salute to its construction and renovation teams over the years. It has withstood major earthquakes in 1933, 1971 and 1994 and was designated an air raid shelter during World War II.
- The Concierge team has a combined total of more than 175 years of experience among them, and six Les Clefs d’Or members. One of which, our Chef Concierge Jeanne Mills, is the Immediate Past President & Zone Director of the Americas for Les Clefs d’Or.
- Opened in June 2006, CUT is Wolfgang Puck’s first steak restaurant, and was designed by the famed architect Richard Meier (of the Getty Museum).
- The Spa spans more than 8,000 square feet (745 square metres), with nine treatment rooms (seven with in-room showers), and is the only Spa in the United States with the Natura Bisse Diamond Life Infusion Facial.
- There are more than 800 employees working at Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel.
- Located on the private, key-accessed 14th floor of the Beverly Wing, the Penthouse Suite is the largest guest room space in the city at 5,000 square feet (465 square metres). And only Beverly Wilshire features two rooftop terraces, overlooking the Hollywood Hills from the Royal Suite or the legendary Drive from the Rodeo Terrace.
Author: Carrie Mitchell
Carrie A. Mitchell is the founder of L’Aventure Travel, the host of the Suitcase Sojourn Podcast, and author of the children’s travel book “To Be We”. Carrie is a global travel and hospitality expert who works with publications, brands and entertainment outlets on a number of travel related projects, from marketing consulting to editorial coverage to hosting & producing content for the web, TV and podcasts. She is always seeking to learn from people and places around the world, and share through her cultural exploration (40+ countries and counting)