Our Great Podcast & Show List To Binge This Holiday
Looking for good podcasts or shows to binge/pass the time during your Thanksgiving travels (& into Christmas)? We got you with our own lengthly list.
Given all of the traveling you will be doing for the next month – near or far – a good podcast or downloadable show/movie will help ease the hassle of the crowds. Personally, I do this year round anyway (Hello, my name is Carrie and I am a media addict) so why not write down some favorites? It seems a lot of other outlets are doing the same, the more the merrier, but often times – like in the case of this Boston Globe podcast round up – missed some of the best so here is a personal attempt. Enjoy, and remember these are all for streaming services only (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon…but HBO, Showtime have apps too so are included. All network originals.) Podcasts you can get everywhere) since you are on the go…
I have talked a lot about these before since I have hosted/produced two shows myself – Suitcase Sojourn and Caftan Mondays – and have even created a post on how to make one yourself. I listen to podcasts all day long, from my workouts, dog walking, morning routine and more. Here are some in heavy rotation:
- Pop Culture: The High Low, Keep It, Goop, Unstyled, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, Call Your Girlfriend, Awards Chatter, Desert Island Discs, Origins, Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness, You Must Remember This
- Culture/Politics: Pod Save America, Lovett or Leave It, Pod Save the World,
- Media/Business: The Daily, Recode Decode, Recode Media, New Yorker Radio Hour, NPR Fresh Air, Katie Couric
- Inspiration/Learning: What It Takes, Masterclass, Oprah’s Supersoul, HBR Ideacast, Under the skin, On Being with Krista Tippett, Where Should We Begin with Esther Perel
- Storytelling: The Moth, This American Life, 2 Dope Queens
Listen to our last Suitcase Sojourn Podcast chat on roadtrips through America
- I want drama: The Crown, House of Cards, Ozark, Godless, Narcos, Handmaid’s Tale, Billions, Big Little Lies, Homecoming, The Meyerowitz Stories, Killing Eve, Succession, An Honorable Woman
- I want dramedy: GLOW, Ballad of buster Scruggs, Stranger Things, Master of None, The Kominisky Method, Private Life, Transparent, Orange is the new black, Atlanta, Insecure, Dear White People, Barry
- I want to laugh: Veep, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Big Mouth, Arrested Development, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Grace & Frankie, Schitt’s Creek, Queer Eye
- I want stand up comedy specials: Hannah Gadsby, Trevor Noah, John Mulaney, Dave Chappelle, Ali Wong, Katherine Ryan
- I want romance: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Too all the boys I’ve loved before, Nappily ever after, Our Souls At Night (BONUS: If you want over-the-top-cheesiness, you’re in luck! There are literally a million Netflix Christmas movies ready for you to watch right now. Even one with a christmas…ghost? ok.
- I want action: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Game of Thrones
- I want to be freaked out: Black Mirror, The Haunting of Hill House, Maniac
- I want a documentary: “Quincy”, “13th”, “Icarus “, “20 feet from stardom”, “Food, Inc”, “Amy”, “What happened, Miss Simone”, “Finding Vivian Maier”, “Iris”, “RBG”, “feminists what were they thinking”
- I want interviews: David Letterman “My next guest”, Off Camera with Sam Jones – or go down the youtube rabbit hole catching up with clips from Colbert, Jon Oliver’s Last Week Tonight and more. Watching the “hot ones” interview series over hot sauce tasting is always entertaining too.
- I want UK everything: The Great British Baking Show, Peaky Blinders, Luther, The Fall, Sherlock, Collateral, Bodyguard, Call The Midwife, and quirky Aussie shows “sisters” and “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries” for good measure
- I want to revisit a series: The Americans, Mad Men, The Wire, Weeds, The West Wing, Braking Bad, The Sopranos, Sex and the city, 30 rock, American Horror Story, Riverdale, Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown
Author: Carrie Mitchell
Carrie A. Mitchell is the founder of L’Aventure Travel, the host of the Suitcase Sojourn Podcast, and author of the children’s travel book “To Be We”. Carrie is a global travel and hospitality expert who works with publications, brands and entertainment outlets on a number of travel related projects, from marketing consulting to editorial coverage to hosting & producing content for the web, TV and podcasts. She is always seeking to learn from people and places around the world, and share through her cultural exploration (40+ countries and counting)